The Leicester Cluster
A PSTT Cluster Network based in Leicestershire
PSTT Cluster Programme commenced 2016
The Leicester Cluster was formed from schools that regularly attended Leicester Primary Science Network Meetings. At present, it is made up of 9 schools. Through previous discussions, the focus of the Leicester Cluster has been on outdoor learning, space and assessment.
Sandfield Close Primary School (Lead School)
Christ the King Catholic Primary School
Glebelands Primary School
Inglehurst Junior School
Rushey Mead Primary School
Mayflower Primary School
Slater Street Primary School
Stokes Wood Primary School
St Mary’s Fields Primary School
Sarah Eames, the Cluster Lead, outlines the vision of the Leicester Cluster below:
To establish a primary science cluster where teachers can exchange information and work collaboratively on specific themes projects that improve the provision of primary science in Leicester. Our long term aim to work with not just science leaders but other curriculum leaders to produce cross curricular projects that promote science learning. We would like to work with other Leicester groups to produce materials that can be used by a large number of primary schools; eg create a resource for Leicester’s Welford Road Cemetery that links with rocks and soil and/or work with the council to produce a science trail around our city, which can be cross-curricular to link with Richard III.
- Meeting regularly and forming a cluster.
- Several schools took part in a project called ‘Flying into Physics’.
- We celebrate that one of the teachers has become a Fellow of the PSTT and another teacher has been shortlisted.
- Several schools in the cluster attended the Great Science Share, organised by the Cluster Co-ordinator and University of Leicester’s Primary PGCE Department.
- The schools have each held a science event or science week.
- A PSTT Project with Leicester City Football Club has been significant.
- Other projects and initiatives have included *Flying into Physics, *Science in Stories, *Polar Explorers, *Play dough Science, *Stem Ambassadors.
- Training and introduction of PSTT resources, including, I Can Explain, Titanic and Stem Trails.
- Joining the Ogden Trust Market Harborough Network to ensure an increase in diversity.
- Increased science and literacy links.
- Increased science capital.
- Children share what science they have been doing with other schools.
- Teachers share what science they have been doing with other science leaders.
To find out more information about our cluster programme or how you can you get involved please feel free to contact us and we will respond as soon as possible.